Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Never Once Did I


Never Once Did I




Never once did I think I'd face the choice of an abortion.
Never once did I think single parenthood would take life's place.
Never once did I think I'd overcome more than one stereotype.
Never once did I think strength would make me win our race.

Never once did I think I'd struggle to give my child mac and milk.
Never once did I think instead of vacation we'd have a hospital stay.
Never once did I think medical bills would come before fashion.
Never once did I think financial struggles would limit our day.

Never once did I think my child's obsessions were a red flag.
Never once did I think my toddler's delay was a rational fear.
Never once did I think his delays would soon regress.
Never once did I think an autism diagnosis would reach my ear.

Never once did I think I'd hear "social & emotionally disabled".
Never once did I think he wouldn't know my smile or my tears.
Never once did I think his childhood would be therapy, not play.
Never once did I think his education would differ from his peers.

Never once did I think I'd know so much about disabilities.
Never once did I think I'd choose a job based off of the giving.
Never once did I think patience and empathy would be my qualities.
Never once did I think I would teach special education for a living.

Never once did I think my kids would be more than 5 years apart.
Never once did I think it'd be hard to find love for my child and me.
Never once did I think a requirement is a disability loving heart.
Never once did I think such a realistic romantic I'd have to be.

Never once did I think God would be my best friend.
Never once did I think I'd cry out for Him so often each day.
Never once did I think I'd wait to hear what He will say,
Never once did I think I'd crave His promises in every simple way.

No comments:

Post a Comment